Saturday 21 June 2014

Agege Bread Bakery - Deptford

I took a trip to Deptford for the next leg of my round the world breakfast tour

in order to sample some Nigerian cuisine. I wasn't sure what I was going to get when I headed for the Agege bread bakery as I couldn't find a menu on the web, but I knew it was open from 8 every morning so would be perfect for breakfast. Deptford High Street has a busy market on Saturdays and I nearly missed the bakery in the hustle and bustle of the marketplace. A selection of fresh baked goods as well as some fish and meat dishes greet you as you walk in to the small shop. I chose a Nigerian meat pie and some plantain (it seemed to be the order of the day, everyone in the queue ordered a pie!). There isn't really any seating in the bakery so headed outside and found a bench and sat down to sample the goods.
The meat pie looked very much like a Cornish pasty (something I happen to know a little bit about) and could also be compared to a Jamaican patty. The pastry was very soft but not crumbly like a pasty. It’s the ground beef and gravy that are the stars of the show here, highly seasoned with a hint of curry flavours it was incredibly moreish and before I knew it, it was all gone! The plantain slices were probably the best I have had since I started the world cup challenge; fried until caramelised around the edges made it sweeter than I have had elsewhere.
I washed it all down with a bottle of Malta Guinness. Guinness is very popular in Nigeria (fact of the day: Nigeria is the second largest market in the world for Guinness, ahead of Ireland!) but Malta Guinness is actually a non-alcoholic malt drink, popular with kids and adults alike in Nigeria. It tasted as though someone had mixed coca-cola with stout, it was very sweet and fizzy and upon taking my first sip thought to myself, ‘I really like this’. However it became more and more sickly as I drank on and I ended up not being able to finish it.























The verdict
At £3.50 including the drink it certainly a breakfast your wallet will be pleased with and your taste buds will thank you too. The malt drink wasn't for me though.

Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment